Friday, November 5, 2010

First few days in Poland

Getting to Poland was easy peasy....And the first few days here have been quite pleasant, except for the weather.. Rain and wind, but if I am going to carry out this quest, I had better get used to it.... Not a lot to report, but here are a couple of interesting little observations...



If they only knew....
Most elevators in the world have a little sign inside them stating the weight capacity and the number of person capacity that the elevator will safely handle. Poland is no exception. But the capacity plates here have a bit of a twist to them.. The abbreviation for “PERSON CAPACITY” is SOB. Now, anywhere in the English speaking world, SOB means Son Of A Bitch... Does that mean that an elevator with a 650 KG capacity and 8 SOB mean that you can squeeze 8 Sons of a Bitch in there..

Fast Walking
Poland seems to be a nation of fast walkers. I am not a slouch when it comes to walking, and I generally keep a good pace. Most times in Canada, I am passing the crowds.. I don't view it as a race, it just seems to be my natural speed when I am not in “dawdle” mood.. Surprise, surprise... My normal pace here seems slow. At least half the people pass me.. It is amazing to see young girls who are barely 5 feet tall and weighing in at 100 lbs, race past me in a totally natural pace.. Young men, old men, young women, old women, all seem to keep a healthy pace on walking....

Bodies...
It is interesting to be a bit of a people watcher in Poland. To date, most people are well mannered and well dressed. I have yet to see anyone that I would even consider fat, let alone obese. They may be hiding in the shadows somewhere, but it is definitely not anywhere close to the North American average of 15% obese... The first observation is that when people are walking around here they do not smile.. Even the groups of young follks seem to have dour expressions. I am not sure what that is all about...They do not seem to be unhappy, but the facial body language is a little odd. Especially the men. Perhaps too many centuries of living in political turmoil and now it is genetic?

Young people especially seem to be very trim... As far as young ladies go, this is the place if you are a leg person.. Today's fashion scene seems to be accent the legs and buns... and do not be afraid to show them... I am not complaining, simply an observation.....The men... all and I mean all are very clean cut.. Most look like they are fresh graduates from the KGB boot camp.. The rest seem to look like they have just been recently released from an internment camp. Hollow sunken features.. a strange combination... The hair is short on all of them. I most definitely would stick out here. If I am going to blend in with the locals, I am going to have get one of those KGB brushcuts... Hmmm maybe on second thought I will wait until I get to the Baltic states before I make a rash decision....

Borderline..
When I left the hotel this morning, the internet was down.. I stopped in at an internet cafe for a coffee later in the afternoon.. Internet is down here too... I suspect that the infrastructure of Poland is very borderline to keep up with today's technology....

Tributes
The Poles are like any other peoples on the planet, in that they honour their dead. Warsaw is saturated with memorials to military campaigns.. It is no wonder, considering that this area has been constantly devastated by foreign troops for the last two thousand years.. The tributes here seem to take on a different flavour though. As I say, the memorials are sprinkled all over the city, probably numbering in the hundreds. The amazing thing is that each and every one of them has a tribute at it's base. Flowers, candles, something.. Walking by them, any time of day or night, and there are candles burning in front of them. I suspect that there is a whole sub industry here manufacturing “week long” candles for this purpose...


Is there such a thing
I have been wondering if there is such a thing as a Polish nose... I don't know if it is just a passing and temporary thing with me, but it seems to me that everybody here has the same shape of nose... It is like you could take the nose of any single person and put it on the face of any other person, and it would not change things a bit.... Passing curiousity or fact?

No comments:

Post a Comment